Sunday, September 7, 2008

David Mackenzie Talks "Spread" with Ashton Kutcher

Several followups this am. First, apparently after reading that David and Jamie were to attend the LA premiere, the foe fanatic Ted sent a myspace message to David. Ted posted his response on his public blog which reads: "Jamie and I went to a q and a last night for the film on LA. The response seemed really good." Ted asked for more, and got a second reply that he copied and posted on his blog: "Stupidly we didn't take any pictures. But the questions were good. Jamie was very funny and the audience seemed very keen on the film. Now I hope they tell their friends."

Back in the days when I had a myspace, I had been lucky enough to be friended with David, but after I canceled the whole Myspace thing, I have not been in contact with him alas. Credit due where credit is due, it was actually pretty cool that D took time out to send Ted something, and am grateful that we heard that at least. Still mightly and seriously disappointed about missing such an opportunity, would have been a lovely and decent thing for us true and loyal fans (frankly remain hugely unimpressed with the whole handling of the rollout/release of Mister Foe...do I sound bitter? lol why yes :P ). Certainly if Magnolia or whoever had bothered to promote it properly and had there had been greater advance knowledge of this appearance, I am certain there would have been a far FAR larger turn out and more keen interest/response to the whole thing, but whatever, no one cares what I think obviously, one lone twee fan in the vast internet wilderness lol, and congrats go to the lucky handful that got to be able to see David and Jamie.


Second, as promised, Collider.com has now posted their new interview with director David Mackenzie online. Unfortunately a great bulk of the interview is wasted (imho) on a rather pointless discussion of rating of Mister Foe, but there was a bit from him on his next movie due out, called Spread that stars Ashton Kutcher. Quotage:

Collider: So your next film is called “Spread”, with Ashton Kutcher and Anne Heche, is this a much more upbeat comedy, or does it have some of the same dark undertones.

DM: Oh, it’s got plenty of dark undertones. It’s not actually a comedy, really.

Collider: Oh, well it’s being described as a comedy.

DM: I mean, there are some comedic elements, but it’s, but I think it’s one of those things that you have to call a “dramedy” now. Well, you know it’s an interesting departure for Ashton and I really enjoyed working with him and making you know, an American movie about LA.

Collider: Would you like to make more American movies, or do you like working in the UK?

DM: I like both, really. I like working on a variety of projects, but I’ve enjoyed working here, and I’ve enjoyed the work I’ve done in the UK, but I just wait for the right project to come along.


....regarding Mister Hallam Foe....

Collider: Is it strange revisiting “Hallam Foe” a year later?

DM: It’s quite nice, actually. You know, it’s some degree of closure, and it would be really nice if “Hallam Foe”…I mean, “Mister Foe”…is able to find an audience in the US.

Collider: Well I think it will. It’s nice when distributors revisit a film because it means people liked it and they think it has a chance over here. It gives the film a second life.

DM: It’s great, yeah, and if that second life comes…I mean I’m not expecting it to break box office records, but if the film could find an audience…it will find an audience, whether it’s three or more, but I don’t think there’s anything particularly inaccessible about it in its Britishness or Scottishness.

Collider: No, I don’t either.

DM: Well good. I hope it goes over well.



Remaining Dates yet for showings of Mister (Hallam) Foe:


9/12/2008
San Francisco, CA: Embarcadero Center Cinema

9/19/2008
Seattle, WA: Harvard Exit Theatre
San Diego, CA: Hillcrest Cinemas
Cambridge, MA: Kendall Square Cinema
Denver, CO: Mayan Theatre
Chicago, IL: Music Box

9/26/2008
Philadelphia, PA: Ritz 5 Movies

10/10/2008
Washington, DC: E Street Cinema
Gainesville, FL: Hippodrome - Gainesville

10/22/2008
Wilkes-Barre, PA: FM Kirby Center for Performing Arts



No comments:

Post a Comment